Established in 1887, the Home of the Guardian Angel opened near an orphanage on Brunswick Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It was known as the Catholic Infant’s Home. Single mothers were admitted to the Home after the birth of their baby.
By 1941 it had become the practice to admit the woman before the child’s birth so that in the final months of her pregnancy she might experience comfortable shelter and have adequate nourishment as well as proper medical care.
In 1955 with the collaboration of Archbishop Berry, the Home of the Guardian Angel was moved to the east wing of the Orphanage. Here, Sisters Mary Clare and Joan Elizabeth set up a shelter for single mothers and an adoption agency. They began a program to meet the spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional needs of the mothers. The women were encouraged to plan for themselves and their babies, to take responsibility in deciding whether or not to place their child for adoption, and to continue, if possible, their own academic or vocational training.
In 1970 the Home of the Guardian Angel became a community-based agency.
In 1973, the Home of the Guardian Angel moved to a renovated house at 6345 Coburg road.
The Home opened the Single Parent Centre in Spryfield, Nova Scotia, in 1980.
In December 2001, the Home moved their pregnancy counseling, adoption services, post-placement services to 2893 Agricola Street in Halifax.
2010 saw big changes for the Single Parent Centre. In May, with the success of the “Building for Families” campaign, the renovation and construction of a larger space began (Click to see the photo gallery). The name was also changed to be more inclusive to all centre users, moving forward the Single Parent Centre would be known as Chebucto Family Centre.
After 125 years of providing adoption services, in 2012, the last private adoption agency in Nova Scotia closed down due to lack of sustainable funding.
During the summer of 2016 the Volunteer Doula Program celebrated their 20 year anniversary!